First Division round-up: Longford Town stay in play-off hunt with narrow win over Galway United

Cristian Magerusan’s seventh goal in five games gave Longford’s play-off hopes new life with a 1-0 win over runaway league leaders Galway United.

Longford were the only side to beat the Tribesmen this season prior to kick-off and they managed to repeat the trick at Bishopsgate.

Magerusan – who has endured countless injury setbacks – scored the winning goal on the half hour mark.

But Longford still had to defend defiantly to hold Galway off.

Keeper Jack Brady made several top-class saves to deny John Caulfield’s men the chance to extend their lead at the top of the table.

And at the death James Doona almost made it 2-0 with a breakaway strike – but it just went wide as referee Paul McLaughlin blew for full-time.

Longford’s victory means they are now just two points behind Wexford in fifth after their draw at home against Finn Harps.

Darragh Levingston’s 70th minute strike looked like it was going to give James Keddy’s men a vital three points in their bid to secure a top-five finish.

But Jamie Watson struck in the fifth minute of additional time in the second half to salvage a point for Dave Rogers’ men.

And that late concession of a goal meant that Wexford fell further behind Athlone Town in fourth.

Dario Castelo’s side won 2-1 away to Waterford at the RSC.

Former Charlton Athletic youth Dylan Gavin gave Athlone a 13th minute lead to set them on their way on the South-East coast.

Roland Idowu then levelled for the Blues but Athlone instantly retook the lead through Frantz Pierrot.

And Athlone were able to hold out and secure a vital three points.

Meanwhile, Cobh Ramblers had to strike late to see off Treaty United.

With Tommy Barrett’s side closing in on a valuable point against the Rams, defender Breandain Frahill struck with a 95th minute winner.

And that leaves Cobh on 45 points, with their play-off spot looking rather comfortable now.

Elsewhere, Bray Wanderers ended their wretched winless streak in the league with a 3-1 victory over Kerry.

Ian Ryan’s side – looking for their first win since June 23rd – took the lead inside nine seconds through Yoyo Mahdy.

The Kingdom responded however and levelled just nine minutes later through former Cobh Ramblers winger Sean McGrath.

But Wanderers eventually moved through the gears and won out thanks to goals from Mahdy again and Darren Craven.

Shamrock Rovers loanee Cian Barrett was also dismissed for Billy Dennehy’s with a second yellow card.