Leinster Senior Cup Report: Bray Wanderers 0 - 3 St Patrick’s Athletic

St Patrick's Athletic defender Alfie Taylor opened the scoring for the Sainst

St Patrick's Athletic defender Alfie Taylor opened the scoring for the Sainst Credit: Thomas Flinkow (ETPhotos)

Andrew Dempsey reports from the Carlisle Grounds 

St Patrick’s Athletic cruised into the semi-final stage of the Leinster Senior Cup with a straightforward 3-0 win over Bray Wanderers. 

Goals from Alfie Taylor, substitute Daniel McHale and Jason Oyenuga saw them over the line against a youthful Bray by the seaside. 

Lining out with the majority of their under-20 side, the young Seagulls sought to seal their place in the last-four of the competition against a Saints side who boasted a host of first-names. 

But the most intrigue surrounding the visitors starting XI was in the form of Ireland underage international Michael Noonan. 

The 15-year-old became the youngest ever player to start for the Athletic in a senior competitive game, and he almost made his mark as early as the third minute. 

Charging forward, Noonan blocked down a Jack Ellis clearance in the Wanderers’ goal but the ball cruelly went wide. 

Bray were the next to go close when attacker Stefan Ugbesia headed just wide of goal following some good play down the right-flank by Josh McGlone.

McGlone then went close himself soon after, but he could only shoot straight at Marcelo Pitaluga in the St Pat’s goal after profiting on a slip from Tom Grivosti. 

But the Saints were in control of much of the play and limited the hosts to many attacking threats. 

And they grabbed the lead in the 28th minute through Taylor. 

The centre-back headed home from close-range after a short corner-kick routine involving Jason McClelland found him free inside the penalty area. 

Also impressing was Anto Dodd for the Athletic - with he and Noonan both testing Ellis in the hosts goal. 

But Bray had the last chance of the opening half when former Shamrock Rovers youth Zayd Abada forced a fine save from Pitaluga with a sweet hit from the edge of the penalty area. 

While the first-half was lively in parts, the start of the second period was anything but. 

McClelland had the first chance of the final 45, but that came in the 59th minute and his shot just curled wide from the edge of the penalty area. 

But the former UCD winger did make a telling impact with just over 15 minutes left as his corner kick found the head of defender Daniel McHale to double the Saints’ lead. 

Teenager McHale, previously on the books of UCD, had a free run in on goal before blasting his header past keeper Ellis. 

The Athletic added a third with just seven minutes remaining through Jason Oyenuga - as the attacker latched onto a long ball before stroking the ball into the back of the net. 

And that was how it finished, setting up a date for the Saints against Maynooth University Town in the semi-final stage of the competition. 


Bray Wanderers:Jack Ellis; Zayd Abada, Destiny Avenbuan, Abdurahman Bouderbala, Luke Smith (Caleb O'Neill 46); Leon Ajala (Alain Kizenga 82), Joshua Kerr, Conor Knight, Josh McGlone (Rhys Knight 82); Thomas Morgan (Billy O'Neill 61), Stefan Ugbesia (Alan Seruga 70).

Subs not used:Alex Forde, Daniel Chukwu.

Booked:Destiny Avenbuan (53), Joshua Kerr (78), Zayd Abada (90).


St. Patrick's Athletic:Marcelo Pitaluga; Kieran Freeman (Billy Hayes 85), Ivan Graminschii, Tom Grivosti (Daniel McHale 46), Alfie Taylor; Rhys Bartley, Aaron Bolger (Jamie Gray 63), Anthony Dodd (Matthew O'Hara 73), Jason McClelland; Jason Folarin Oyenuga (Adam Deans 85), Michael Noonan.

Subs not used:Matt Boylan, Ruairi Morgan.

Booked:Aaron Bolger (21), Kieran Freeman (27), Matthew O'Hara (77).


Referee:Robert Dowling.

Attendance:600 (Estimate)

extratime.com Player of the Match: Jason Oyenuga (St Patrick’s Athletic).