Premier Division round-up: Galway United defeat Dundalk while Sligo Rovers hold Derry City to draw


Galway United boss John Caulfield Credit: Eddie Lennon (ETPhotos)

Galway United reclaimed fourth place with a comprehensive 2-0 victory over Dundalk at Eamonn Deacy Park. 

The Tribesmen have impressed in the top-flight this season and have signalled their intent with another win at home - and clean sheet.

And John Caulfield’s side took the lead in the 24th minute when goalkeeper Ross Munro scored an own-goal.

They then doubled their advantage in the 72nd minute when Maurice Nugent scored from a Conor McCormack corner-kick.

It was a first game in the dugout for new Dundalk boss Jon Daly but he will take some positives from the display having only met his players hours before kick-off on Corribside.

Meanwhile, Derry City were held to a costly 2-2 draw at home against Sligo Rovers.

And Ruaidhri Higgins’ side had to level twice to claim a point at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium. 

The Bit O’Red took a 1-0 lead into the half-time break when Reece Hutchinson opened the scoring in the 18th minute. 

And they held onto that advantage until the early stages of the second-half when Michael Duffy equalised for the Candystripes. 

Niall Morahan, however, put Rovers back in front before Will Patching’s spot-kick salvaged a point seven minutes before the end of normal time. 

And following Derry City’s draw, Shelbourne have moved six points clear at the summit after they eased past ten-man Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium. 

Damien Duff’s side were full value for their victory - red card or not. 

They took the lead in the first-half via a Will Jarvis penalty after Matty Smith was felled by Pico Lopes after an incisive counter-attack. 

The Reds doubled their lead in the second half, with Lopes given his marching orders following a second yellow card after being adjudged to have fouled Smith again. 

Jarvis was able to score again from 12 yards to signal Shels’ title intent. They will take some stopping.

Elsewhere, Bohemians struck late to claim a point against St Patrick’s Athletic at Dalymount Park. 

The Gypsies - like the Saints - are languishing in the bottom half of the table but will be releived that they were able to nab a draw against Stephen Kenny’s men. 

Chris Forrester’s spot-kick gave the Athletic a 1-0 lead - but they were pegged back before the break when forward James Akintunde levelled for Bohs. 

Although, in first-half injury time, St Pat’s retook the lead through Cian Kavanagh. 

And when it looked like the Saints were set to hold out, Danny Grant scored a last-gasp equaliser for the hosts.