League Report: Shamrock Rovers 0 - 2 Shelbourne

Ronan MacNamara reports from Tallaght Stadium

Shelbourne marched six points clear at the top of the Premier Division after they earned a first away win against Shamrock Rovers since 2005.

A double from Will Jarvis from the spot condemned Shamrock Rovers to a fifth defeat of the campaign which is more than they suffered in the entirety of last season.

Shamrock Rovers had all the play in the opening exchanges and hit the woodwork twice but they were suckerpunched by two self inflicted penalty concessions which saw Pico Lopes sent off for two yellows, and a hat trick of first half injuries.

Shelbourne’s goal came against the run of play and having caught out the Hoops with a long ball in their first meeting in Tolka Park, they did so again as Josh Honohan inexplicably let a Conor Kearns goal kick sail over his head allowing Matty Smith to pounce through on goal.

The despairing Pico Lopes was left scrambling and could only bring him down allowing Jarvis to convert from the spot after 19 minutes.

The hosts did respond instantly with Graham Burke forcing Kearns into a smart stop from a free kick.

The wheels began to fall off Rovers' drive for five when Dan Cleary, Josh Honohan and Trevor

Clarke all hobbled off injured within fifteen minutes in the first half and salt was added to their wounds ten minutes after the break.

A red card for Lopes and a second penalty from Jarvis put the game beyond doubt and sent Shels on their way to a famous win.

Markus Poom was fortunate enough to get away with a slip in the first half to allow Jarvis through on goal only to retrieve the situation to his credit. But this time there was no saving him.

Attempting to find Darragh Nugent with a pass, Matty Smith nipped in and sent Jarvis away on goal.

Jarvis showed great composure to square for Smith who stopped and allowed Lopes to take him down.

Lopes was off and Jarvis scored again.

Shelbourne were comfortable for the remainder and Kearns went untested between the sticks as an injury ravaged Rovers failed to land a punch.

Jarvis stepped up to rifle the penalty into the top corner and send Shels on their way to a famous victory.

Shelbourne were comfortable for the remainder and Kearns went untested between the sticks as an injury ravaged Rovers failed to land a punch.

The packed away support in the East Stand were delirious and they urged Damien Duff to imitate Stephen Bradley’s fist pumps at full time.

But Duffer urged for calm despite the statement Shels have sent towards the rest of the league.

Once with one win in nine, the Reds went unpunished now with three wins in a row they have clear daylight again as the season inches over the halfway mark.


Shamrock Rovers: Léon-Maurice Pöhls; Trevor Clarke (Aaron Greene 45), Daniel Cleary (Lee Grace 29), Neil Farrugia, Joshua Honohan (Aaron McEneff 34), Pico; Jack Byrne (Conan Noonan 82), Darragh Nugent, Markus Poom; Graham Burke, Johnny Kenny.

Subs not used: Lee Steacy, Toms Leitis, Cory O'Sullivan, Cian Barrett, John O'Sullivan.

Booked: Joshua Honohan (9), Pico (18), Joshua Honohan (32), Pico (56), Graham Burke (64).

Sent off: Pico (56).


Shelbourne: Conor Kearns; Patrick Barrett, Sean Gannon, Kameron Ledwidge, Gavin Molloy; Evan Caffrey (Shane Farrell 90), Mark Coyle, William Jarvis (Sean Boyd 72), Jonathan Lunney (Jad Hakiki 76), John O’Sullivan (Tyreke Wilson 55); Matthew Smith (Dean Williams 76).

Subs not used: Lorcan Healy, Shane Griffin, Lewis Temple, Keith Ward.

Booked: Sean Gannon (23).


Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Attendance: 8276

extratime.com Player of the Match: Matty Smith (Shelbourne).