League Report: St Patrick's Athletic 1 - 1 Waterford

Action from the Pats Waterford game on 19th April 2024

Action from the Pats Waterford game on 19th April 2024 Credit: Maria Eduarda (ETPhotos)

View Gallery from Maria Eduarda

Patrick O Connor reports from Richmond Park

St Patrick’s Athletic and Waterford played out a highly entertaining 1-1 draw before a large crowd at Richmond Park on Friday night with the visitors the happier of the two sides with a valuable point gained away from home.

The Blues more than deserved a share of the spoils and apart from the opening period of the game when they were under the cosh from the Saints, they gave as good as they got for the remainder of the game and well deserved their point.

The home side started in a very positive fashion and dominated the possession for the opening ten minutes of the match.

They showed their intent as early as the third minute when Aaron Bolger’s shot was goal bound only for Sam Sargeant to tip it over the bar for a corner.

The Saints were rocked back however when the visitors made a breakaway attack and took the lead goal in the 13th minute. Maleace Asamoah went on a rampaging run down the right wing and forced a corner off Anto Breslin.

When the resultant corner was floated in Asamoah was back in the penalty box and he flashed a header past Danny Rogers, possibly with the aid of a deflection, off a Pat’s defender.

The Blues then grew in confidence after that opening goal and it was a very even game from then up to the half time break.

Referee David Dunne had to be very alert throughout and he flashed five yellow cards in total in the opening 45 minutes.

Robbie McCourt saw yellow for time wasting, Mason Melia for diving in the box and Asamoah and Bolger for tackles. A member of the Pat’s background staff also saw yellow, presumably for unsavoury comments about the referee.

The second half intensity was ratcheted up another notch when Pat’s drew level in the 65th minute.

Jon Daly had just made a treble substation and all three subs were involved in the build up to their goal.

Ruari Keating won the ball about 30 meters from goal, he fed Jake Mulraney who in turn fed Chris Forrester at the edge of the box.  Forrester unleashed a shot which Sam Sargeant could only parry away and Brandon Kavanagh reacted the quickest to fire the ball home for the equaliser.

Both sides went in search of a winner but despite numerous half chances at both ends, the sides remain level despite an additional five minutes of extra time.

The result sees Pat’s drop back into fifth position in the table on 15 points but while Waterford are down in eight position on 13 points, there is still only two points between the two sides after 11 games played.

St. Patrick's Athletic: Daniel Rogers; Anthony Breslin, Conor Keeley, Joseph Redmond, Luke Turner; Aaron Bolger (Ruairí Keating 63), Brandon Kavanagh, Kian Leavy (Christopher Forrester 63), Jamie Lennon; Mason Melia (Romal Palmer 78), Alex Nolan (Jake Mulraney 63).
Subs not used: Marcelo Pitaluga, Ryan McLaughlin, Jason McClelland, Arran Pettifer, Cian Kavanagh.
Booked: Mason Melia (36), Aaron Bolger (37), Christopher Forrester (90).

Waterford: Sam Sargeant; Grant Horton, Darragh Leahy, Robert McCourt, Darragh Power; Harvey Macadam, Ben McCormack (Romeo Akachukwu 77), Rowan McDonald; Padraig Amond, Maleace Asamoah (Christie Pattisson 70), Connor Parsons (Dean McMenamy 89).

Subs not used: Matthew Connor, Kacper Radkowski, Joseph Forde, Niall O'Keeffe, Connor Evans, Gbemi Arubi.
Booked: Robert McCourt (29), Maleace Asamoah (37).

Referee: David Dunne

Attendance: 4,376

extratime.com Player of the Match: Rowan McDonald (Waterford)