League Report: Cobh Ramblers 2-4 Wexford

Wexford came out on top against Cobh Ramblers in a six-goal jamboree at St Colman’s Park on Friday night as the Slaneysiders ran out 2-4 winners in the First Division.

Both Thomas Oluwa and Mark Hanratty hit a brace for the visitors while Cobh rattled in two in two minutes to threaten an unlikely comeback having gone three down shortly after the second half had got under way.

Sheets of misty rain swept across the hilltop ground like smoke as the game kicked off and the crowd didn’t have to wait long for the opening goal. That said, only the small gathering of away fans were of a mind to celebrate.

It came from the boot of Thomas Oluwa after just four minutes, sweeping a shot past Darragh Burke in the Ramblers goal after picking up a loose ball just outside the box.

And it was Wexford who looked the more dangerous, with Cobh not registering a moment of danger until the half-hour mark when Jack Larkin slipped a ball through for Matthew McKevitt. And though Own Mason pulled off a fine save, the assistant’s flag would have ruled it out regardless.

Another Cobh chance emerged six minutes later when McKevitt’s turn and run opened up the Wexford defence. He then found strike partner, David Bosnjak, who’s attempt on goal forced another fine save from Mason.

There was one change at the break when Cobh centre back, Breandán Frahill failed to recover from a first half knock and was replaced by Luka Le Bervet Bardsley.

Within six minutes Wexford were two up, Mark Hanratty side-footing home from six yards after a cross from the right.

And two minutes after that the home side found themselves three down when Hanratty hammered in his second of the night from outside the Cobh box.

You would have been forgiven for thinking that was game over. But you would have been wrong. Within a minute Cobh had one back when Jack Larkin burst through on the left and poked the ball past Mason.

If the home fans doubted the possibility of a comeback then, they were soon persuaded otherwise. One minute later McKevitt was played through, knocked the ball past the outrushing Mason, and was tumbled to earth over the keeper’s flailing leg.

Jason Abbott stepped up and drove in the spot kick. And after a chaotic spell of four goals in five minutes, Cobh were back where they started; one goal behind.

The eventfulness continued with a short delay after a rogue drone circled the pitch. The hovering menace drifted down onto the terraces and was reclaimed by a fan while the tannoy warned of dire circumstances should it take to the air again.

A home equaliser would have put the cap on a dramatic evening but the next goal went the other way and effectively pulled the plug on the hopes of the Great Islanders.

A wayward backpass from Charlie O’Brien was picked up by Oluwa who clinically tucked the chance past Burke.

Another stirring response proved beyond the Rams, despite creating two good chances in the final ten minutes. And Wexford set off home with three points to accompany them on the team bus.

Cobh Ramblers: Darragh Burke; Justin Eguaibor (Alessandro DeSanctis 84), Breandán Frahill (Luka Le Bervet Bardsley 46), Dean Larkin; Charlie O’Brien, Jason Abbott, Cian Browne; Dale Holland, Jack Larkin; David Bosnjak (Beineon O’Brien Whitmarsh 78), Matthew McKevitt.

Subs Not Used: Cathal O’Hanlon (gk), Dan McKay, David Eguaibor, Dan Ryan, Glenn Towler, Evan Deasy.

Booked: Justin Eguaibor (33), Jack Larkin (52), Luka Le Bervet Bardsley (86).

Wexford: Owen Mason; Reece Webb, Ethan Boyle, Cian O’Malley, James Crawford; Katlem Harnett (Brandon McCann 67), Luka Lovic, Kian Corbally, Mark Hanratty; Mikie Rowe (Cian Curtis 77), Thomas Oluwa (Ben Lynch 90).

Subs Not Used: Alex Moody (gk), Robbie O’Toole.

Booked: Luka Lovic (80), Brandon McCann (82).

Referee: Oliver Moran.

Attendance: 500 (est)

extratime.com Player of the Match: Mark Hanratty (Wexford)