Premier Division round-up: Shels stretch lead at the top as Shamrock Rovers and St Pat’s claim victories

Damien Duff’s Shelbourne have stretched their lead at the top of the Premier Division table following a scoreless draw at home to Derry City. 

The Reds had been battling sickness in their camp all weekend - with their boss claiming it was the ‘best point’ they had picked up during his reign in charge. 

It was a game of very few chances at Tolka Park with Evan Caffrey coming closest for the hosts to scoring - but he was just offside as he dragged his effort wide of the post. 

The Candystripes, who snapped a two-game losing streak, had chances too through Will Patching and Michael Duffy. But neither could convert in a drab affair. 

But Shels could stretch their lead at the top as second-placed Sligo Rovers slumped to a heavy 3-0 defeat away to St Pattrick’s Athletic.

Jon Daly’s men have struggled for consistency in recent weeks but they were propelled to victory at Richmond Park with two Luke Turner goals. 

The former Cliftonville defender caused chaos from set-piece routines and grabbed a brace from them. 

16-year-old Mason Melia put the gloss on the victory in Dublin 8 with a fine finish late on. 

Champions Shamrock Rovers also ran out 2-1 winners away to Waterford at the RSC. 

Daragh Burns opened the scoring for the Hoops just before the hour mark. 

But Robbie McCourt levelled for the Blues minutes later as Keith Long’s side showed what they were about at home. 

Although, Roberto Lopes pounced with a delightful header from a Conan Noonan cross to seal the three points for Stephen Bradley’s Hoops. 

Meanwhile, Bohemians claimed their first victory under new boss Alan Reynolds with a 2-0 win against Galway United.

The Gypsies were reeling following Friday night’s 3-0 Dublin derby defeat against Shamrock Rovers. 

But they responded in the best possible way with Reynolds masterminding a comfortable away victory at Eamonn Deacy Park. 

Jevon Mills and James Akintunde both scored for Bohs. 

Elsewhere, the 177th instalment of the Louth Derby between Dundalk and Drogheda United ended in a stalemate. 

Both sides had chances, although the best came through Drogs forward Adam Foley as he missed a sitter. 

But the game ended with both teams reduced to ten-men as Luke Heeney was dismissed with twenty minutes to play.

Archie Davies then saw red after receiving a second yellow card for dissent in injury time.