League Report: Wexford 1 - 1 Cork City

Jadon Umeh in action for Cork City against Athlone Town on Friday, 29 March 2024.

Jayden Umeh scored his first senior goal for Cork City on Monday afternoon. Credit: David Ribeiro (ETPhotos)

Patrick O’ Connor reports from Ferrycarrig Park Wexford

Wexford and Cork City played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at Ferrycarrig Park on Monday afternoon with the draw maintaining City’s unbeaten run in the league after eight rounds of games.

This was certainly a game of two halves with the visitors dominating the first half and the home side owning most of the second half, so in the overall analysis a share of the points was a fair reflection of the game.

City got off to the best possible start with a goal from their very first attack. The ball was played from the centre circle to Cian Bargary wide on the right, he skipped past Mark Hanratty and his low cross was met first time by Jaden Umeh who flashed the ball past Owen Mason in the Wexford goals for his first ever senior goal.

City tried to bury the game early on with another goal but gradually the Wexford defence got to grips with the visitors attack and settled into the game.

Both sides seemed to be affected by the narrow pitch and there was a lot of frustration on both sides with numerous intended passes going over the sideline. City’s wide men, Umeh and Bargary, in particular saw lots of the ball but they had so little room to manoeuvre they were unable to make full use of the possession.

Wexford defended in depth for the opening 45 and they did succeed in preventing City adding a second, however it was very much at the expense of their own attacking play.

Their main goal threat, Aaron Dobbs, cut a very isolated figure up front on his own and he and the rest of Wexford’s attack never tested City keeper Bradley Wade in the opening 45 minutes.

Wexford were a transformed side in the second half however while City’s performance levels dropped off alarmingly.

It came as no surprise when the home side got a well-deserved equaliser in the 63rd minute courtesy of Mikie Rowe, after good approach work by Kaylem Hartnett and Aaron Dobbs.

Wexford grew in confidence after that boost and they really went on to dominate most of the remainder of the game and could indeed have forced a winner, with subs Thomas Olouwa and Luka Lovic both having a positive impact.

City seemed to lose their way and even the introduction of a number of fresh legs had no impact and they rarely tested Mason apart from two efforts in the 72nd minute which drew a double save from the keeper.

City will be disappointed with their overall performance in Wexford and will now face another tough test next Friday night in the local derby game against Cobh Ramblers while Wexford will get an opportunity to put some more points on the board with a back- to-back home fixture at Ferrycarrig Park, this time against Treaty United.

Wexford: Owen Mason; Ethan Boyle, Darragh Levingston (Luka Lovic 46), Cian O'Malley, Reece Webb; Kian Corbally, Mark Hanratty, Kaylem Harnett (Cian Curtis 81), Brandon McCann (Thomas Oluwa 46); Aaron Dobbs, Mikie Walsh-Rowe.

Subs not used: Alex Moody, Robbie O'Toole, Carl Lennox, James Crawford.

Booked: Kian Corbally (55), Aaron Dobbs (64).

Sent off: None.

Cork City: Bradley Wade; Cian Coleman, Charlie Lyons, Harry Nevin, John O'Donovan; Cian Bargary (Josh Fitzpatrick 60), Greg Bolger, Barry Coffey, Evan McLaughlin, Jaden Umeh (Cathal O'Sullivan 60); Cian Murphy.

Subs not used: Daniel Moynihan, Darragh Crowley, Niall Brookwell, Oran Crowe, Nathan Wood, Matthew Murray, Jack Doherty.

Booked: John O'Donovan (40), Greg Bolger (55), Jaden Umeh (55), Cian Coleman (88).

Sent off: None.

Referee: Daryl Carolan.

Attendance: 1,151

extratime.com Player of the Match: Ethan Boyle ( Wexford)