League Report: Treaty United 2 - 2 Bray Wanderers


Treaty United lost their 100% record after letting a two goal lead slip Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)

Treaty United surrendered a two-goal halftime lead, as well as their perfect start to the season, in a game of two halves at the Markets Field on Friday evening.

The home side got off to the perfect start after a second-minute Willie Armshaw corner was thundered into the roof of the net from the head of captain Marc Walsh.

The Shannonsiders' early dominance translated to a couple of half-chances in the opening ten minutes. Both Curran and O'Riordan couldn’t manage to direct their efforts goalward.

Bray then grew into the game but, despite creating good opportunities, none worried Chambers in the Treaty goal.

The Seagulls' best chance of the half fell to Max Murphy in the twenty-seventh minute. His arced run was met with a perfectly weighted pass as he rounded Chambers, but his shot hit the outside of the post and was cleared for a corner.

Treaty then doubled their advantage through Thomas Considine in the fortieth minute. The pacey attacker picked up the ball with space on the right flank and then unleashed a driven low shot into the net after beating his man.

The opening fifteen minutes of the second half were uneventful as far as goalmouth action. Bray struggled to make an impact on the home side’s compact defence, whilst Treaty were happy enough to try to control the game and their two-goal advantage.

The first real chance of the half fell to Magersun for the visitors. A scuffed defensive header came his way, but he blasted his effort over the crossbar.

That was to be a warning sign of things to come, as Bray were then given a lifeline in the seventy-first minute when Stephen Christopher clipped Morgan in the Treaty box.

The resulting penalty kick was rifled into the back of the net by Shane Griffin, silencing the jeers of the two-thousand-strong Markets Field crowd.

The Seagulls then pulled level in the eighty-second minute. A lofted free kick from a Treaty offside caught the home defence off guard as substitute Thomas Morgan finished a square pass into the net.

It could have gotten even worse for the home side in the final minute of the game as Morgan again broke through on goal. Chambers was forced to make a huge save to keep the game level.

The Shannonsiders will be bitterly disappointed to have conceded their dominant halftime position. Treaty never really threatened the Bray goal in the second half, despite being the better side in the opening half.

Up next for Treaty is an away trip to Longford, who face Cork City at home on Saturday evening. Meanwhile, Bray will face a third consecutive Munster away assignment as they travel to Leeside next week to face Cork City.

Treaty United: Corey Chambers, Ben O’Riordan, Oisín O’Reilly, Lee Devitt, Willie Armshaw, Thomas Considine, Stephen Christopher, Scott Kirkland, Evan O’Connor, Marc Walsh, Enda Curran.

Subs: Yoyo Mahdy (for Curran 67 minutes), Fionn Doherty (for Armstrong 67 minutes), David Tarmey (for Kirkland 77 minutes), Alec Byrne (for Considine 77 minutes)

Subs not used: Michael Dike, Mark Byrne, Mark Murphy, Leon Kirrane, Adam O’Halloran.

Booked: Lee Devitt (5), Enda Curran (19), Evan O’Connor (45),Yoyo Mahdy (81), Oisin O’Reilly (85), Alec Byrne (89).

Bray Wanderers: Jimmy Corcoran, Max Murphy, Killian Cantwell, Cole Omorehiomwan, Darren Craven, Cristian Magerusan, Callum Thompson, Freddie Turley, Paul Murphy, Shane Griffin, Kieran Cruise.

Subs: Harry Groome for Craven (37 minutes), Zach Nolan for Cruise (45 minutes), Guillermo Almirall (for Murphy 59 minutes), Peter Grogan (for Turley 59 minutes), Thomas Morgan (for Thompson 60 minutes).

Subs not used: Stephen McGuinness, Evan Osam, Conor Knight, Alain Kizenga.

Booked: Kieran Cruise (19), Paul Murphy (20), Paul Heffernan (88 not on the pitch).

Referee: Declan Toland (Westmeath).                 

Attendance: 2,175       

Extratime Player of the Match: Peter Grogan