FAI Cup round-up: Shamrock Rovers and Cork City stroll past non-league opponents

Abbie Larkin scored four for Shamrock Rovers against Killester-Donnycarney

Abbie Larkin scored four for Shamrock Rovers against Killester-Donnycarney Credit: Peter Fitzpatrick (ETPhotos)

Day one of this Sports Direct Women's FAI Cup weekend threw a number of League of Ireland sides up against non-league opposition but hope of a giant killing fairytale was clinically crushed by Shamrock Rovers and Cork City.

The Hoops took on Killester-Donnycarney and went ahead after just three minutes when Abby Larkin found the net. They led 4-0 at half-time and duly doubled that margin by the final whistle with Larking claiming four for herself.

Cork City are now in the unique position of having failed to win any of their 14 league matches this year, but having won 4 of their 5 cup games. 

Terenure Rangers managed to keep the Rebels scoreless until three minutes before the break when injénue Fiana Bradley opened the scoring for the league side.

Bradley went on to bag a brace in the 5-0 win that followed, a scoreline that was beefed up somewhat by two late goals, one an own goal and the other an added time strike from Eva Mangan.

There was a five-goal thriller in Limerick where Treaty United pushed league leaders Peamount United to the limit. 

New signings Aoibhe Fleming and Aoife Cronin twice had the home side in front. 

But Erin McLaughlin and Kate Mooney (with her 10th of the season) pulled the Peas level before McLaughlin hit a fine winner in extra-time.

DLR Waves and Wexford Youths went several steps further, sharing six goals between them at the UCD Bowl and driving each other to a penalty shootout.

It looked like the Wexford had won it when Rianna Jarrett got her second of the game in extra-time but right on 120 minutes DLR’s Isabel Finnegan hammered in a late, late leveller.

And so the drama extended into a penalty shootout that saw the takers match each other, both in pens scored and missed until the sixth round when Wexford’s Ceola Bergin was the unfortunate soul to see her shot saved and the tie go to the Waves.

Finally we had one of those absorbing games that threaten goals but somehow end up with none when Athlone Town and Galway United matched each other shot for shot and save for save for 120 minutes.

Then came a penalty shootout that Jenna Slattery could have won with Galway’s 5th penalty but Katie Keane pulled off a fantastic save to send the teams into sudden death.

Gillian Keenan buried hers for Athlone but Galway captain Lynsey McKey saw her effort canon off the crossbar and away. 

A cruel way to lose a cup tie, but a delightful way to win one.