League Report: Finn Harps 2- 0 Treaty United


Ryan Rainey was on the scoresheet once again as Harps picked up three points against Treaty Utd at Finn Park Credit: Gerry Shanahan (ETPhotos)

Goals from Ryan Rainey and Filip da Silva helped Finn Harps to a 2-0 victory over Treaty United at Finn Park on Friday night as the home side progress up the First Division table while Treaty remain stalled just 4 points off the bottom.


It took 13 minutes for the first chance of the game to arrive and when it did it was the visitors who should have taken the lead. Success Edogun, playing wide on Treaty’s right flank found himself just yards from goal with the ball at his feet but his low shot across the keeper was well saved by Tim Hiemer’s outstretched foot.


There followed a period of pressure from Harps who showed the Shannonsiders how to do it on 17 minutes when Ryan Flood’s corner was headed home by Ryan Rainey.


If there was any argument over whether the Ballybofey side deserved their lead, it was put to bed after 20 minutes when Flood’s first time shot from just outside the box beat Shane Hallahan in the Treaty goal before cannoning back off the crossbar.


Harps continued to threaten from set pieces as well as having the majority of possession but a one-goal lead is a fragile thing and left-back Lee Devitt came close for Treaty after 26 minutes, his shot fizzing just over.


An even better chance came Treaty’s way five minutes before the break when Filip da Silva was caught in possession allowing Alec Byrne to be played through on the Harps goal. Again Hiemer pulled off a good save though had he been beaten the assistant’s flag would have ensured that Harps kept their lead.


Dave Rogers’ men started the second half on the front foot and it was Harps who created the better of the chances. Okwute played an excellent through ball after 50 minutes but Treaty’s Devitt smothered the run of da Silva and the opening closed.


Two minutes later Okwute was again involved, thrashing a shot just wide from a very tight angle. But the home side got their reward after 64 minutes of play when Okwute was again the key man, holding the ball up well before driving it across goal where da Silva had the simplest task to divert the ball over the Treaty line.


This was the last real threat on either goal and although Treaty pushed on doggedly over the final quarter they never really looked like reducing Harps’ lead.


Added time saw Harps introduce U17 player Max Johnston for his senior debut and when the final whistle sounded the clenched fists of manager Rogers showed what the three points meant to the home side.


They now climb to 6th in the First Division table while Treaty lie 10th behind Longford on goal difference.


Finn Harps: Tim Heimer; Noe Baba, Ellis Farrar, Shane McMonagle; Michael Harris, Ryan Rainey, Seamus Keogh, Kevin Jordan; Ryan Flood; Filip da Silva, Daniel Okwute (Max Johnston 90+3).


Subs Not Used: Oisin Cooney (gk), Oisin Farrell (gk), Shaunie Bradley, Damian Duffy, Katlego Mashigo, Jamie McKinney, Brendan McLaugghlin.


Booked: Shane McMonagle (75).


Treaty United: Shane Hallahan; Ben O’Riordan, Andy Spain (Colin Kelly 78), Anthony O’Donnell (William Armshaw 72), Lee Devitt; Alec Byrne, Mark Walsh; Success Edogun, Conor Barry (Martin Coughlan 85), Stephen Christopher; Enda Curran (Dean George 72).


Subs Not Used: Joshua Coady (gk), Darren Collins, Fionn Doherty, Scott Kirkland, Niko Kozlowski.


Booked: Andy Spain (38).


Referee: Mark Moynihan


Attendance: 1,210


Extratime Player of the Match: Daniel Okwute (Finn Harps)